Sunday, March 31, 2019

"I Think I'm, Going to be OK???"

Electrical Contracting at it's finest!!! Something you hear a lot in construction. From folks who have done construction contracting, 'learned to hate my own employees'. Seems to be the biggest problem in construction. You need good guys to be able to survive in a field of 'Low Bid'. Problem is egos, with experienced employees. Be to nice to the employees, they soon think, 'your working for them'. Push the employee to hard, 'they get an attitude'. Fine line in this day and age, how to treat your employees. When I started, a whole  different World. To where the foreman yelled at the guys all day. You were never fast enough or neat enough. Try that today, everyone walks!!!

Since starting the 'Pinal County Justice Court' in Coolidge. I am on my second set of employees. Coolidge is a hour ride from Scottsdale and metro Phoenix. So trying to find electricians to make that drive. Is getting to be impossible. With my first pair, I sucked up to, too much. Simple glad to find help willing to make the drive. My journeyman was 58 years old and from Coolidge. Paid him $23 an hour. He had me marching around like a Toy Soldier. Their again, being to kind. His helper, a young Navajo kid from New Mexico. He also got an attitude with me. To the point he treated me as if I worked for him. I think it is just human nature. That when you are kind to the employees. They think that's a sign of weakness. 'Don't mistake my kindness, for a weakness'. Cannot seem to bring this point home.

I finally had to turn to a Temp Service to find me help. Apprentice electrician was impossible to get. So I settled for simple labors. I went through 5 temps before finding a keeper. A 23 year old black kid from Detroit. No knowledge what so ever, but trainable. Number two helper was on site from another temp service. Noticed he kept moving and working. So I asked him, 'how much are you making'? He said, '$11 an hour'. Asked if he wanted to learn electrical work. And offered $12.50 an hour. He said, 'the hell with these guys, when do I start'? A young Mexican kid, with tats all over himself. A good worker though. And very trainable. After being in a panic of sleepless nights, from the beginning. Never having any idea of the difficulties, I was to encounter. In simply trying to man the job. With my largest contract ever, at over $250,000 base contract. I realized going to lunch Friday, 'I think I'm going to be OK'. With these two so happy, to be learning an trade. I don't believe I will have the same problems. "Time" will tell.

"God" bless on this Sunday afternoon, may you have sweet dreams with soft landings.

bye

PS: "Alien"

No comments: